Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Wifi Access Points on Same Channel????

Discussion in 'General Wireless Discussion' started by cdikland, Apr 17, 2018.

1. cdikland

cdikland Regular Contributor

I have 3 Wi-Fi access points (all named Home_2Net) in my home utilizing channels 1,6 and 11 on the 2.4 band. Is there any reason why I could not assign each of these 3 points the same channel?? My Wi-Fi then would look like:

SSID: Home_2Net (times 3)
    CHAN: 6

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

You could do that but it is the worst possible setup that people try to avoid at all costs. Having 3 different access points all transmitting on the same frequency means that they'll be fighting each other. The idea of putting them on 1, 6 and 11 is that they are as far away from each other (in frequency terms) as possible to minimise interference.

Klueless likes this.
  4. Klueless

Klueless Senior Member

The purpose of an AP is to extend coverage, e.g., provide coverage to areas where the wireless router doesn't reach.

Therefore APs have to be "far enough" apart. On the extreme if they were right next to each other you wouldn't get extended coverage.

They also have to be "close enough", i.e., some signal overlap, or the client will hit a dead spot (no connection) as he moves from AP to AP.

Therefore at least some APs will share airspace. I'm thinking APs that share the same airspace should use different channels or you will take a performance hit (akin to having a nearby neighbor's router using the same channel as you).

Now if your APs are lined up in a clear daisy chain fashion (A==>B==>C) it's entirely possible that A&C won't overlap and could use the same channel.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!