1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Synology DS918+ DiskStation Reviewed

Discussion in 'Synology' started by thiggins, Jan 2, 2018.

1. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Synology's DS918+ is a top-performing, but pricey four-bay NAS that could make good use of a 10 GbE port.

Read on SmallNetBuilder

Widmark, CBme, Ralphort and 3 others like this.
  2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. CBme

CBme New Around Here

Great review as always. Thanks for specifically calling them out on the lack of 10gbit ethernet. I'd love to throw my money at this as I'm looking for a 4-5 port box like this to move my media discs out of my primary PC but it just doesn't make sense to have a performant box with the bottleneck of 1gbit ethernet connection. Full consumer cards now cost less than $100 so I can't image it would add significant cost to add it in place of the 1gbit chip. Even if it did cost them $100 more for some reason, I'd gladly pay that much more over a similar box with the 1gbit bottleneck.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  4. concord.belfast

concord.belfast New Around Here

The link to the Synology's white paper on SSD caching is missing an 'h' in the URL scheme, so clicks on it confuse both the browser and the person opening it.

5. thiggins

Thanks for catching that. Fixed.

6. aem38

aem38 New Around Here

Hello there,

there is a mistake in this article / review.
    I am the author of the DS918+ teardown, published on iFixit.
    So could you please edit or correct this plz.

I also wrote an article about SSD caching with DS918+ NAS and it's overall performance if needed.
    But it's not translated (no enough time).

Thanks.

Sebastien

7. thiggins

What is the mistake?

8. aem38

aem38 New Around Here

hello,

am the author, not iFixit.

9. thiggins

Our review says "iFixit has a complete teardown". The iFixit article byline reads: "Written By: Sébastien (and 4 other contributors)". I see no need to change anything.

10. aem38

aem38 New Around Here

Hello,

Although 'am happy to see SNB (and many others) use these photographies …

All tutorials are under CC v3.0 on iFixit…
    and that's why i published on their website (share and authorship) …

If you carrefully read this : https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/ , you can notice :
    About Atribution : you must give "appropriate credit" …
    If supplied, you must provide the name of the creator and attribution parties …

- iFixit is the publisher (it's not their teardown) …
    - i am the creator / author of this tutorial, translations and photographies …

Although iFixit authorize this use (for press use only) ie only quote iFixit website,
    i think this is normal to quote the author, and 'am not asking for the moon …

It took more than 2 days of work to create this content.

Sebastien

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018 at 4:33 AM
Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!