1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

RT-AC68U: AIProtection vs. separate pfsense box?

Discussion in 'ASUS Wireless' started by Phil Perucci, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Phil Perucci

Phil Perucci New Around Here

Sorry for the newbie question, but I always ass-u-med that NAT "security by obscurity" was sufficient for my needs...
    ...while I have my router "locked-down" per the checks under AIProtection (all green), I've noticed that I'm getting external "hits" almost daily, from a MAC address I don't recognize (lookup indicates it is an Arris device). It seems like the experts often use pfsense, and I hear more about things like Cujo and Bitdefender Box 2 these days.

I'd like to think, in my Utopian World, that ASUS (Trend Micro) AI Protection has me covered, but I do wonder if pfsense would be safer (if I "hunker down" and learn it). I don't think pfsense "calls home" like Trend Micro does, which makes me wonder if pfsense is really better; but again, I'm a newbie to really locking-down security.

Note: I don't have any ports open; I only use my broadband connection (Comcast) for internet access originating from inside the house.

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. maxbraketorque

maxbraketorque Senior Member

If you have no open ports, I don't see how pfsense will be of any use. Is UPNP disabled on your router as well?

4. Phil Perucci

Phil Perucci New Around Here

I just double-checked; UPnP is disabled. In fact, all checks under AIProtection “Router Security Assessment” are green.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!