1. Post filters have been ramped up due to high spam activity. If your post is marked for moderation, be patient. A moderator will review and release it as soon as possible.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Router with > 70mbps on VPN

Discussion in 'Routers' started by Marrduk24, Jan 13, 2018 at 9:09 PM.

1. Marrduk24

Marrduk24 New Around Here

I currently have a cable modem + router from Netgear and want to move to a router based VPN encryption. I currently use PPTP encryption to bypass ISP throttling of Usenet, and even though OpenVPN is more secure, PPTP works for me as it is faster.

I will use my cable modem router purely as modem and considering two options with it
    1. A new wireless router that’s powerful enough to get me > 70mbps on VPN. PPTP is fine from my standpoint but I am fine with OpenVPN too as long as I get the speed
    2. Get a QOTOM mini-PC with PFsense and get a cheaper wirelsss router (something like Linksys EA7300).

I have about 12 wiresss devices at home, which is a mix of 2.4ghz only devices (printers, Roku etc) and bunch of iPhones/ iPads. I have a couple of wired devices.

my preference would be to not go down the QOTOM route unless I have to. Is there a router that’s fit for my purpose?

Our apartment is about 3000 ft over one floor, has concrete walls and router will be in one corner.

2. Deepcuts

Deepcuts Regular Contributor

3. Arsena11

Arsena11 New Around Here

From being along time lurker on this forum and reading lots and lots of posts about vpns especially openvpn ,ive found out that the recently released Asus RT-AC86U is one of the best routers for open vpn achieving over 100mb+ on openvpn

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AC86U-AiProtection-Accelerator-Aggregation/dp/B075WFL15D

4. Marrduk24

Marrduk24 New Around Here

Arsena11 likes this.