1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Featured QNAP’s Intros Budget-Friendly NAS With Auto-Tiering, PCIe Expansion and 10 GbE SFP+s

Discussion in 'General NAS Discussion' started by Julio Urquidi, May 16, 2018.

1. Julio Urquidi

Julio Urquidi News Editor

qnap-ts832x-nas.jpg
    The 8-bay quad-core QNAP TS-832X desktop NAS is now available and includes several interesting features built into a budget friendly package.

Via QNAP’s Qtier application, TS-832X supports auto-tiering, which takes advantage of SSD and HDD hardware, keeping frequently used “hot” data on faster storage, while keeping moderately used “cold” data on larger capacity disk drives.

Two PCIe expansion slots inside the NAS can add either M.2 caching SSDs and/or 10 GbE networking via QNAP’s QM2 expansion card products, or can be used to add USB 3.1 Gen2 and/or wireless networking cards.

QNAP TS-832X is powered by an AnnapurnaLabs Alpine AL-324 quad-core 1.7 GHz Cortex-A57 processor and is available in 2 GB or 8 GB DDR4 models (both expandable to 16 GB).

Other TS-832X interfaces include two 10 GbE SFP+ ports, two GbE RJ45 ports, three USB 3.0 ports, and a line-out jack.

For additional storage, the TS-832X can use up to two QNAP UX-800P and UX-500P expansion enclosures.

Pricing for the TS-832X 2 GB DDR4 model is $749, while the 8 GB DDR4 model is priced at $899.

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. Threska49

Threska49 Occasional Visitor

Nice, but what would be important is the ability to moving data from one NAS maker to a different NAS maker. Otherwise there's a kind of "lock-in".

4. jail4ceos2

jail4ceos2 Occasional Visitor

I think I saw someone say this can be done with rsynch? I'm going to need to do this soon. I'll have to google what is it and how it works. There must be a way for units from various vendors to talk nicely to each other?

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!