1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

OpenVPN + LOCAL LAN

Discussion in 'ASUSWRT - Official' started by spawn, Jan 13, 2018.

1. spawn

spawn New Around Here

Hello together, I am using ASUS ROG 5300 router and didn't realize that there is no Merlin firmware for it. Now I am stuck with basic configurations but I still hope that someone can help me here.

I am using VPN fusion (which is actually pretty cool), using my apple tv's (DNS 8.8.8.8) to connect to the VPN (openVPN) but keeping the rest of the devices on normal ISP network. This morning I woke up and realized that I couldnt connect to my local lan via the apple tv's (connecting to plex on NAS) and via a quick check with the VPN provider they told me that the SMARTDNS is making problems which I presume is also causing this.

Is there any way to tell my router to not use the vpn for inside connections? I know that at Merlin there is a functionality push lan to clients but the original 5300 firmware doesnt have it... :(

Appreciate help.

THANKS

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. spawn

spawn New Around Here

Nobody can help?

4. Gingernut

Gingernut Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  5. spawn

spawn New Around Here

6. Odkrys

Odkrys Senior Member

Are you set the connection option as DDNS ?

Then try to add this line in openvpn client config file, but I am not sure stock firmware support custom configuration for openvpn.

Code:
    route DDNS 255.255.255.255 net_gateway

7. spawn

spawn New Around Here

No static IP on the apple TV.

In that case it should be route "Apple TV IP" 255.255.255.0 net_gateway correct?

So route local traffic through net_gateway.

I just add the line into the openvpn file? In the beginning?

OpenVPN file:

dev tun
    fast-io
    persist-key
    persist-tun
    nobind
    remote XXXXXX

remote-random
    pull
    comp-lzo
    tls-client
    verify-x509-name Server name-prefix
    ns-cert-type server
    key-direction 1
    route-method exe
    route-delay 2
    tun-mtu 1500
    fragment 1300
    mssfix 1450
    verb 3
    cipher AES-256-CBC
    keysize 256
    auth SHA512
    sndbuf 524288
    rcvbuf 524288
    auth-user-pass

<cert>
    ...more

8. spawn

spawn New Around Here

Can someone please give final instructions? THX

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!