1. Post filters have been ramped up due to high spam activity. If your post is marked for moderation, be patient. A moderator will review and release it as soon as possible.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

N66U - Latency Issues on League of Legends

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by MonsterGunther, Jan 13, 2018 at 4:49 PM.

1. MonsterGunther

MonsterGunther New Around Here

Recently I installed AsusMerlin 380.69, so far I was using the official without any issues but I decided to try.
    Simple setup, 1 PC wired and a phone over WiFi. Reboot router before installin the firmware, did a factory reset after and that was pretty much all the customization.

But..when I begun playing League of Legends without getting Ping spikes (I'm around 37-39ms) suddenly the connection dropped, on and off, sometimes was Ok and other times it was unplayable.
    -QoS is disabled
    -HW NAT is disabled
    -Firewall is disabled

any other ideas of what can it be? Or should I rollback to the original firm, because this one is not suited for Gaming?

2. adampk17

adampk17 Regular Contributor

I think you’d want both HW NAT and the firewall enabled. Can’t say that has a thing to do with your issue but it’d be worth a shot.

3. MonsterGunther

Already did, Firewall Enabled and NAT Accelerator on Auto.

4. MonsterGunther

Well tried it all. I'll have to rollback to the previous firmware, utter piece of shit.

5. DonnyJohnny

DonnyJohnny Regular Contributor

No one ask you to use the firmware. Did you pay for the service?
    People tried to assist you. Not even a thank you from your shitty mouth.

6. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

The issue is your setup, not the firmware. Wifi performance is identical to the stock firmware because it's the exact same driver, with the same configuration code.

For starter, you have HW nat disabled, which WILL reduce performance...

You also disable the firewall, which you should NOT ever do unless troubleshooting something.

Vexira likes this.
  7. M@rco

[email protected] Occasional Visitor

Please do roll back to stock, so you can find out you're having the exact same issues (with less functionality). Your problem lies elsewhere, not within Asuswrt-Merlin.

Oh wow, that's really constructive feedback and definitely showing appreciation for all the years of voluntary effort which has gone into it. You might as well stick with stock firmware, no one is really waiting for Gunthers monstrous comments...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018 at 5:40 AM
    Vexira likes this.
  8. Vexira

Vexira Very Senior Member

Tried replacing the unit with an 86u?
    Also you forgot to factory reset the box.

[email protected] likes this.
  9. MonsterGunther

Setup is fine, it was working 30 min. before installing the new firmware. I disabled those things just to check if that was the issue, did my share of google+snb forum before posting this. BTW, if HW NAT is NAT Accelerator then I have two options, disabled and Auto. Its set on Auto.

My unit was working fine, why replacing it? Also, no I don't have an 86U around. I did a factory reset after the installation, it's on my first post :p

If this is a support forum and I gave all the information I had about my issue, then, the feedback is what you (the other guys) are supposed to give, amirite? In any case, money on the donation bucket is a better way to "show appreciation" you know, thanks you don't pay the bills. Kiddo.

10. adampk17

adampk17 Regular Contributor

Have you checked temps? Maybe they are getting high and the CPU is throttling. The fact that the router “was working for 30 mins” on the stock firmware isn’t a super great test.

11. MonsterGunther

No, the router was working on stock firmware since 2013 (of course it was updated regularly), when I bought it. IMHO seems that some packets are dropped during the game. I don't torrent nor stream netflix/youtube while playing windows is up to date, and no antivirus interferes
    • Temps. around 54 degrees celsius
    • Core around 3-4%
    • No USB drive plugged
    • QoS disabled

12. Stephen Becker

Stephen Becker Occasional Visitor

Have you tried leaving a ping /t running during the game to see if the drops correspond to increased ping time?
    I like to leave two pings at the same time, one pinging the router (to test WiFI) and then other pinging Google's DNS 8.8.4.4 (to test the internet).

It would also be worth testing over a wired connection. You might need to change channels on WiFi.

13. MonsterGunther

I'm using a wired connection, will try Ping to google while playing, thanks