1. Post filters have been ramped up due to high spam activity. If your post is marked for moderation, be patient. A moderator will review and release it as soon as possible.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Featured Linksys Announces New Velop and Gaming Router

Discussion in 'General Wireless Discussion' started by thiggins, Jan 7, 2018.

1. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

2. Mokers

Mokers Regular Contributor

Interesting that Apple is now selling the Velop. I wonder if that means the end of Airport.

3. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

I thought they had officially discontinued the Airport last year.

4. Mokers

They said they were not going to be developing it further, but they are still selling the APs themselves.

5. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

Actually they did not say they were stopping development of Airports. There were rumors of the Airport team being assigned to other projects - and that's reasonable - should note they did push out a recent release for the Airport N and AC class devices within the past few weeks - which means developers at Apple are still looking at Airports.

Airports were ahead of the game for some time - the "mesh" stuff - Airport had that years ago with Extended Networks (including Guest Network Support) - the Extreme AC's are still good AC1900 class devices based on the same HW as the Asus RT-AC68U and Netgear R7000 - older devices from Asus and Netgear, but these are still very relevant, as is the Airport AC's are...

6. Mokers

Airports are very good and I owned several and used the extend network feature. Yes Apple has kept it upgraded and fixed KRACK, but I dont think it is out of line to speculate when they would stop selling it. I'm sure they would do a good job of they pursued it further but it looks like they want a smart speaker first now. Committing to selling linksys in retail stores adds complexity (admittedly slight) to their supply chain. And we've been seeing this for a while now for several products. I thought Apple's cinema display was still pretty good but Apple has blessed LG for displays now.

7. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

they're sold other vendors in the online store as well - even for WiFi...

At the end of the day - the Airports do well enough for Apple's product line - it would be nice to see a refresh on that product line, but for now, not much need.