1. Post filters have been ramped up due to high spam activity. If your post is marked for moderation, be patient. A moderator will review and release it as soon as possible.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Featured Fing Fingbox Reviewed

Discussion in 'LAN & WAN Article Discussions' started by thiggins, Dec 18, 2017.

1. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Fing's Fingbox is more an network inventory and control tool than security solution.

Read on SmallNetBuilder

2. chamberc

chamberc Regular Contributor

Love mine.

3. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

Can you say some more about why?

4. chamberc

It's just a great place for consolidated information. I have over 90 devices and like being able to set notifications on status changes.

thiggins likes this.
  5. mokodi

mokodi Occasional Visitor

How does bandwidth analysis work without Fing being the gateway? Does it also use ARP spoofing?

6. NSNE

NSNE Occasional Visitor

I was a backer during the IndieGoGo campaign and have been pleased with the FingBox. I'm with @chamberc in liking it for its excellent consolidation of network info — it's much better than my RT-AC88U in that regard. With the FingBox, I can associate different devices with different users to see who's online, which is useful when, say, you've got kids who like to play Civilization when they're supposed to be tidying their rooms.

I agree with the reviewer that the lack of automatic action can make it less useful as a security device, and not just for ordinary consumers, but I suspect that the ability to automatically block or somehow isolate new devices might come in a future firmware release.

Oh, and I've also found its Internet Speed analysis to be in a pretty tight ballpark. It's alerted me to WAN speed drops so I'm not left wondering if sudden slowness is an app issue versus an ISP issue.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  7. Razor512

Razor512 Senior Member

I don't see what this product offers to justify its price. Most of the functions are already common place, even in budget routers.

While it adds a little extra monitoring, all of that monitoring and more can be gained from a 3rd party firmware such as Tomato (If you have a compatible router) http://tomato.groov.pl/?page_id=164

While many won't offer a self hosted speed test server since you will often run into a CPU bottleneck long before you reach the max real world throughput of a modern WiFi radio, they will often offer details such as the PHY rate of each client, which is useful for optimizing the router placement since you can have every device stream something while you try to get higher PHY rates. For any further testing, the only way to go is to really have a PC on the network act as the speed test server.

8. chamberc

Having used merlin's firmware on an 66, 68, 87, 88, a Orbi RBK 50, and now my Eero, I can say that almost none of the functions are in a common place, even in budget routers or higher end routers. The lack of good apps for those devices compounds the issue, and push notifications lacking in all of them.

9. Razor512

Razor512 Senior Member

If a router has a well designed web UI, then there really isn't much need for a dedicated app for the router.

For the focus of this device, push notifications seem like they would just get annoying.

Products like the orbi and eero have really stripped down UIs with hardly any user control.

Unless it is creating a virtual PC on the network and having it behave just like an unpatched windows windows server, or some other system where you can get a meaningful push notification if anything tries to compromise it, general security related push notifications will just be you getting spammed with messages relating to otherwise normal and safe activity, and any signs of a real intrusion, will likely go unnoticed.

It seems like it tries to package many common functions in a more user friendly package, but charges a steep premium for that.

10. Vlad Didenko

Vlad Didenko New Around Here

Stopped reading at

Also uninstalled from the one device it lingered on.

Oh, and Domotz is going to have a heck of a fun time with EU Regulators

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  11. Razor512

Razor512 Senior Member

Seems in their privacy policy, it says:

(Expand the quote to see the the sections of the policy relating to data collection of you and how it may be used with 3rd parties.)

Basically collecting enough info to uniquely identfy you regardless of browser security settings, in addition to having the ability to share that info.

That is the holy grail of invasive advertising if used in such a way, as even if they don't know your name, they can still effectively assign you a unique ID that will stick with you.