1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Cloudflare Announces DNS That Won't Track You

Discussion in 'Other LAN and WAN' started by thiggins, Apr 2, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MustacheSwe

MustacheSwe New Around Here

Can confirm that this DNS is fast. However, I am much more interested in the (security provided by the) DNS over HTTPS functionality. Is there any way to get that today? I am currently using an ASUS RT-AC68U router, current firmware. Would it help to switch to DD-WRT or Tomato?

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. Treadler

Treadler Regular Contributor

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/release-dnscrypt-installer-for-asuswrt.36071/

I believe this does DoH as well.

4. abc5

abc5 New Around Here

sorry, what is CDN stand for. anyone?

5. XIII

XIII Very Senior Member

6. Cake

Cake Senior Member

The cat has already been let out of the bag. Cloudflare does in-deed practice content censorship. Stick with dnscrypt v2. At least there may be 1 outfit logging you and not multiple "do-gooders". I'm referring to your network admin -->ISP ---> google/cloudflare etc. (sniffing port 53 traffic)

7. Treadler

Treadler Regular Contributor

& another thing.
    When I query http://www.whatsmydnsserver.com/ I get both Cloudflare, & Google showing as DNS servers I’m using.
    I have specified only Cloudflare as my DNS. maybe Cloudflare has some sort of fallback to Google DNS?

8. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

First hop is always monitored - even through VPN, the initial access into the WAN is in the domain of the ISP.

VPN protects things inside packets (to a degree) - but the initial access is always the same - e..g this is from your modem to the ISP's next hop. And then one must the VPN provider - dot - dot - dot - and hope they're not one of the five eyes...

You'd be surprised what they're doing there - analytics and big data are key for them - SDWAN, NFV, etc...

At least the GFW is honest about what they're doing...

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!