Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

AiMesh Dual Band and Tri Band Routers

Discussion in 'ASUSWRT - Official' started by Neil62, Mar 13, 2018 at 8:18 PM.

1. Neil62

Neil62 Occasional Visitor

Dec 9, 2017
    My current Aimesh setup is as follows:

RT-AC86U as Main Router
    2 x RT-AC5300 as nodes

I am aware that the nodes are tri band routers and that main router is a dual band router. When I disable the 5GHZ band on the RT-AC86U (dual band main router), it is leaving/transmitting one of the 5GHZz bands as open (operational) on both the nodes. I have checked this via inSSider and channel 149 is being transmitted from both the nodes even with the 5GHZ band disabled on the AC86U.

Should not both the 5GHZ bands on the nodes be set to disabled as well?

Is there a point to leaving one the 5GHZ band operational on the nodes? How to disable the second band on the AC5300 nodes as there is no web gui access to the nodes without running some sort of a script to disable these bands?

Possible bug or working as designed?

Does this mean that nodes and main router should be compatible with bands, i.e dual and tri band?

The reason I am using the AC86U as the main router and not the one of the AC5300's is that I found the stability increased by running AiMesh in this configuration.