1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

AiMesh doesn't work

Discussion in 'ASUSWRT - Official' started by JakeJ, May 17, 2018 at 8:46 AM.

1. JakeJ

JakeJ New Around Here

Hi,
    I have two Asus routers, the RT-AC86U set as the main mesh router and the RT-AC68U which I am trying to set as the mesh node, but, so far I have been unsuccessful. I tried resetting both routers to factory settings, changed IPs, nothing worked. It does seem that the AC86U sees the RT-AC68U for a brief moment, but then it fails to connect to the mesh network (the 'node detected' icon disappears and the wheel spins forever).
    I have followed the steps properly, so is there a known problem or have I encountered a bug or a bad unit?
    Also, I tried the other way around, the AC68U as the router and the AC86U as the node and I got the same behaviour: it detects the node for a few seconds and then I get the message that the node has not been detected.
    Looking forward for your reply.

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. InfiniteLoop

InfiniteLoop New Around Here

What firmware are you using?

I had to downgrade 1 release to set the mesh up and then upgrade to latest after the fact.

4. JakeJ

JakeJ New Around Here

Both routers are on the latest 3.0.0.4.384_20648 firmware, but even if I wanted to downgrade the AC68U, I can't because ASUS has only the latest update available on the official website. I will try it with the AC86U and see if it will connect.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!